Jonathan Clements, in a recent article appearing in The Wall Street Journal, gives 9 reasons to love your mortgage.
All of the reasons are very insightful, but the most important reasons to love your mortgage is that it’s the cheapest way to borrow money.
I’m not crazy about carrying debt. But if you need to borrow, a mortgage is the way to go. The interest incurred is typically tax-deductible and the rate should be low, in part because the loan is secured by your home. If you have other debt, you probably could lower your borrowing costs by paying off those loans and instead carrying a larger mortgage.
9 Reasons to Love Your Mortgage
Here are all nine reasons given by The Wall Street Journal:
- It’s your cheapest way to borrow.
- It’s a negative bond.
- It leverages your entire financial life.
- It’s a backup source of emergency money.
- It makes inflation your friend.
- It lets you profit from falling interest rates.
- It’s an effective way to build wealth.
Learn more about these reasons to love your mortgage with Mt. Clements’ thought provoking article: Nine Reasons to Love Your Mortgage.