Periodically checking your credit report and correcting any mistakes is important to have a high credit score.
Errors on credit reports occur for many different reasons, such as wrong personal information, debts that have been paid in full but marked unpaid, bills marked late or unpaid by mistake, and more.
Consumers can get one free credit report each year through various credit bureaus.
Common Credit Report Errors
- Individuals apply for credit under several different names, such as John Doe and Jonathon Doe.
- Someone made a clerical error when entering or reading information (names, social security numbers, addresses, etc.) from a handwritten application.
- Mix-ups with common names, for example, more than one John Smith living in New York City.
- Information intended for one John Smith might appear on another John Smith’s credit report as he applies for a mortgage.
- An individual gave an inaccurate Social Security number, or the creditor misread the number.
- Loan or credit card payments were inadvertently applied to the wrong account.
Wrong information can reflect poorly on your credit file, causing approval problems when the time comes to apply for a job or obtain a mortgage. Therefore, if you find errors, it is crucial to get them fixed and make sure that you contact all credit bureaus with your change.
Marimark Mortgage is based in Tampa, Florida, and serves the mortgage needs of homebuyers, homeowners, and investors in Florida, Virginia, and Pennsylvania.
We specialize in mortgages for first-time homebuyers, conventional home mortgages, refinance loans, reverse mortgages, and FHA, VA, and USDA mortgage options. In addition, we’ve worked extensively with cash-out refinancing and help clients to lower their monthly mortgage payments.
To get started with a mortgage to buy your next home, please fill out our Quick Mortgage Application or contact us.